We are proud of our history and we are proud of our students. We offer a variety programs for our students in the middle and high school levels, providing quality music education so that they can continue our long-standing tradition of excellence. We have won numerous awards, including the title of Indiana State School Musical Association Class C Marching Band Champions in 1974 and 1975.
The Charlestown Band of Pirates offers a variety of youth programs, including:
- Marching Band – This course may also count in place of high school physical education courses. Open to 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th grades. Students are highly encouraged to participate!
- High School Concert Band – This course is opened to all 9th grade, 10th grade, 11th grade, and 12th grade students with prior musical knowledge.
- Eighth Grade Band – This course is open to all 8th grade students, prior musical knowledge is expected as this is an extension of concepts taught in 7th grade band.
- Seventh Grade Band -This course is open to all 7th grade students.
- Sixth Grade Band -This course is open to all 6th grade students.
- Music History and Appreciation – This course is open to all 9th grade, 10th grade, 11th grade, and 12th grade students.
- Pep Band – This program is required for all high school concert band students. Middle school students may be eligible to participate upon director discretion. Middle school students may also participate at the directors discretion.
- Solo and Ensemble – Students showcase their musical talent by participating in ISSMA Solo and Ensemble. A variety of programs are offered from beginner to collegiate level.
- Color Guard – Open to all 8th grade, 9th grade, 10th grade, 11th grade, and 12th grade students. May require tryouts.
- Band Council – Membership is only by election. The Band Council represents all students of all programs.
- Rapscallions – A Jazz-Fusion student group that branches from the Charlestown High School’s band of Pirates.
* Denotes that the program was either offered previously or is proposed to be offered in the near future.